Where I've Been

Where I've Been
Where I've Been

Monday, August 7, 2017

Deep Sea Fishing

Last week while in Massachusetts I went on a team building adventure--deep sea fishing. I've fished in rivers and lakes, but this was my first time out at sea, and admittedly, it wasn't that far from shore, but technically it was still the Atlantic Ocean. I was a little concerned about sea sickness, even though historically I typically don't get motion sick, but since it was my first time I had my concern and I didn't want to be the guy that fed the fish (that honor did go to one of my co-workers who shall remain nameless),. Thankfully I didn't get sick at all, which made the trip even better.



I definitely recommend that you should take a charter some time and experience the fun that is deep sea fishing. By the end of the day I had caught four different kinds of fish--red fish, cod, haddock, and a sand shark.

The fish on the left was the first fish I caught and was the first for the trip. It is a red fish, and the bulging eyes are caused by the pressure differential. Apparently this fish is very pressure sensitive, and died on the way up. The fin on its back is actually venomous and if it sticks you, it feels like a bee sting. The fish I'm holding up is a cod, which unfortunately we couldn't keep due to some fishing law, so I had to toss it back. We did get to keep all the haddock we caught, but the sand sharks we caught had to be thrown back. By the way, sand sharks have a very sharp barb on the rear fin that faces forward and if you are a foolish predator and try to grab it from behind, the barb sticks in you and delivers some serious venom. Yet another reason the ocean will kill you.

The best thing about the trip was just being out in the open water away from people and the city, and listening to the waves, sea gulls, and the occasional boat. I kept my phone in the cabin while fishing, and only had it out during the trip out to the water. Here are some of the scenic shots I took while leaving port.








During the trip, we saw another "party" fishing boat, and the first mate on our boat talked about how those boats leave people mad, generally speaking. One of my coworkers had experienced one, and agreed. Apparently, fishing lines are constantly getting tangled and the time spent fishing is minimal. That said, aim for the smaller more private boats.

Once the trip was over we returned to the marina and took our fillets to the marina restaurant where they cooked them up and added some sides and drinks.




It made for the freshest fish and chips lunch I've ever had. Tasted great! Oh, and in case you are curious where we went, here's a Google Map of the trip. Disregard all the land connections. It kept trying to connect to non GPS locations. We chartered the Karen Lynn, and I want to give a special shout out to Collin and Bryce who made the trip a blast.



No comments:

Post a Comment